Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Philip De Laszlo's Studio

De Laszlo painting a portrait of Princess Marina, Duchess of York, in the studio behind his house.

When Philip de Laszlo died in 1937 he left his house at 3 Fitzjohn's Avenue in London to the Catholic Church which transformed it, together with the two adjacent houses at 5 and 7, into the Holy Cross Convent.  These have recently been developed into flats called De Laszlo House though only number 3 has anything to do with the painter who in his time was regarded as the successor to John Singer Sargent.

But de Laszlo's studio, where he painted, was not part of his house; it stood in his garden and could be entered from the rear of his house or from Maresfield Gardens.  The Catholics turned the studio into a temporary church.  Now St Thomas More, a purpose-built monstrosity farther along Maresfield Gardens, is their place of worship.

The studio still stands, however, and is identified as De Laszlo Hall.

De Laszlo's house on the corner of Fitzjohn's Avenue and
Maresfield Gardens. His studio is the white building
in the distance. 

The Maresfield Gardens side of de Laszlo's house.

The studio is the white building on the left.

Philip de Laszlo's studio.
The door into De Laszlo Hall.

De Laszlo painting a mannequin from Lady Duff Gordon's fashion house. 

You can view a 1928 silent film of de Laszlo in his studio painting a fashion model. 

A short step from the back of the house to the studio.
But where there was a garden there is none now.